Thursday, June 21, 2012

Scrubbing In

One thing I was looking forward to in Bolivia was observing surgeries. My first week in Cochabamba was wonderful - riding trufis (a Bolivian form of transportation that is like a combination of a taxi and a bus), playing with sweet children in the orphanage, and sitting in on consultations - but it was somewhat lacking in medical procedures. Yesterday I finally got a good dose of blood and guts. This week there is a group of physicians from Knoxville, TN volunteering at the hospital, so there are more opportunities to scrub in on surgeries. I had the opportunity to observe two hysterectomies (removal of the uterus). 

The first surgery was performed because the woman had an ovarian cyst. The thing looked like a small balloon, thin-walled and so full it might burst any second. For most of the procedure I stood behind the patient by the anesthesiologist. I am interested in pursuing a career in anesthesiology so I enjoyed talking to him about the field. I learned that many Bolivian patients prefer regional instead of general anesthesia, mostly for safety concerns. I noticed that some of the Bolivian medical staff were taking pictures of the surgery, so I made sure to bring my camera for the second procedure. 

The second hysterectomy was done because the woman had a cyst on her Fallopian tube and myomas (balls of muscle tissue) in her uterus. Her uterus was very enlarged and I snapped a few good pictures. During this procedure I talked a lot to Karen the PA. She has assisted many surgeons and is currently going back to school to get her medical degree. She was helpful in answering my questions about the procedure and I enjoyed hearing about her experience as a PA and a medical student. I also asked her if she was worried about being a good mom and a good doctor. She said of course she was, but she felt that God was calling her to go back to medical school and if it His will, He will provide a way for her to balance her career and family. It was comforting to hear that someone else had my same concern and was trusting in God to find a way for her to do both well. 

I loved everything about observing the surgeries - the scrubbing in, the cutting, the suturing, and the vast knowledge required to do all this. I am fascinated by how much the human body can handle. 

Thank you for keeping me and my team in your prayers. Feel free to email me at rteranishi@westmont.edu if you have any other questions!

-Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Rachel. I am so encouraged when I read about the things you and the team are learning an experiencing and thinking about on your trip. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete