Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Interview Questions!

Hey everybody! Thanks for checking out our blog. We are all excited for our upcoming trip and are so appreciative and blessed by your support. We thought it would be a great idea to get to know each other better and give you the opportunity to get to know us a little better through mini-interviews that we did on each other. We each picked a name from a hat and got to ask the other person 5 questions. So here we go! *Warning: It just so happens that when you ask pre-med/pre-health students questions, they tend to give extensive answers!*


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Annika Utgaard '15 
     Interviewer: Brittany


Q: Where are you from? Tell us about your family/pets.
A: I am from Star Prairie, Wisconsin.  I live with my beautiful mom (Kim) and 3 younger sisters (Antje, Alexandra, and Abrianna), but I have 7 siblings total: 3 older brothers (Chris, Steven, and Jason), 1 older sister (Erica), and the 3 younger ones.  I also have 2 nieces (Izzy and Sammy) and one nephew (Daeton) whom I absolutely adore =).  We definitely have a big family but I wouldn't have it any other way...not only do we love and support each other, but we also share a lot of laughs...and you can imagine how crazy the holidays are when we all get together haha. 
Q: What is your favorite animal?
A: I love sea turtles because they are the wisest of all the animals in the animal kingdom and they are very intuitive.  I also like golden labs because they are loyal, protective, loving and understanding.  They truly are mankind's best friend! haha

Q: What is your favorite bible verse and why?
A: This is a tough question....partly because I am not as well versed in my Bible as I would like to be (and I keep discovering new verses all the time!) and also because it varies based on what is going on in my life at the time.  That being said, at present, I have two favorite verses:
"What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off? And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off."
                              Matthew 18: 12-13
I like this verse because it reassures us as Christians that God does not abandon his followers, but He does zealously seek the lost.  This means so much when I feel like I have failed in some aspect of my life.  I am so grateful that our God is so forgiving and loving.  He sent his only son to be broken by the cross so that every living soul on this earth would know that they are loved, no matter what sort of grief they are dealing with.  And it is this verse that reminds me that I owe it to my Father in Heaven to share His love with others, selflessly, and it is in my unending desire to please Him that gives me all the strength that I need to go on. 
"I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith.  And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."
                             Ephesians 3:16-19
I absolutely love this verse! Every time I read it, I feel like God is speaking to a crowd of thousands of people, myself included, inspiring/encouraging us to follow in His footsteps and show others the same love and compassion that He has shown us.  I always find myself asking the question, 'God, how do I become a light amongst lights?'  and I think that this verse has some pretty good insight into the answer to that question.  I believe that when God calls you to serve Him, it is both a blessing and an honor.  It's undoubtedly scary, but if you take a leap of faith and give it your all, you'll benefit from it.  You can either accept His offer or walk away disappointed. 

Q: What's your favorite food?
A: hmmm.....good question.  I like any kind of red meat--steak, BBQ ribs, burgers--I'm totally guilty of being a carnivore haha

Q: Where do you see yourself in the future? (where do you want to live, what do you want to be doing?)
A: I want to become a medical missionary and travel the world--never staying in one place for too long--sharing Christ's love with others and learning from them as well.  I want to spend my life walking where Jesus walked...and then I want to retire and buy a house somewhere quiet and relaxing and open up an apple orchard.

Q: What is the "#1 thing on your bucket list"?
A: ...to travel the world make a difference in other people's lives.  I want every day to be an adventure. 



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Danica Ito '14
     Interviewer: Ben

Q: If you could talk with anyone in the world, past or present, for 30 minutes who would it be? and why?
A: I would have to say Derek Fisher because he is my favorite basketball player and I have always wanted to meet him.  Seriously, my life would be complete if I could meet him. haha =]

Q: Would you rather sky dive or bungee jump?
A: Honestly, I am terrified of heights.  Just thinking about doing either of those things gives me anxiety.  I would probably have a panic attack and pass out if someone told me I had to do either one.

Q: What is the one thing in the world that you are most scared of?
A: So this question is pretty much answered in question 2.  I really do not like heights, so its a good thing that I'm short. haha

Q: What is your dream job?
A: I would love, love, love to be an athletic trainer for the Lakers.

Q: What is the accomplishment that you are most proud of?
A: Okay, so this is going to sound very ridiculous, but the accomplishment I am most proud of is being 5 feet tall.  For the longest time, I was 4 feet and 11 and 3/4 inches tall.  I was very determined to reach 5 feet (not that there was much I could do to reach it), but I finally made it. =P



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brittany Buschor '15
     Interviewer: Jake


Q: Where are you from/ what is your family like/ any pets?
A: I am from San Diego, California. I have one brother, Chase Bushor, who is going to be a Junior in high school next year; he is my BEST friend and a stud athlete (baseball, football, basketball, soccer, you name it). My family is chaotic, spontaneous, and funny but at the center of it all is love and Jesus... what we always come back to.  We have one dog (lemon Beagle) named Roxy, who sadly is nearing death.. as my friends would chant: "Put her down! put her down!" But I still love her regardless of her awful smells!


Q: Favorite memory from Freshman Year
A: This question is nearly impossible to answer.  Spring formal dance (even though I'm not much of a dance person) was so much fun, or my Biology Independent mouse lab, or endless rounds of frisbee golf, or following the Westmont baseball team to Playoffs during finals week (they got 3rd in GSAC tournament!), or ice cream bowling in Page hall, or working at a homeless shelter, Casa Esperanza, every Saturday. So many good memories!


Q: Other mission trips/ countries you have been to
A: I have been to Uganda, Africa twice now on medical missions trips.  I also have been to the Dominican Republic twice: one trip we installed a clean water well into a garbage dump village, and the other trip we worked in an old folks home reconstructing it and did baseball sports ministry.
I have been to Mexico of course.  As well, I went to Israel with my mama. 

Next stop, BOLIVIA!

Q: If you were an animal, what would you be and why?
A: Easy, an elephant. I LOVE elephants; I have ALWAYS loved elephants just ask my parents. Every summer I begged them to let me ride the elephants at the County Fair and I did even when I was in high school! Dumbo was my favorite movie when i was younger, and I even was an elephant for Halloween! (costume custom made by my mother, I don't know how she let me out of the house in that thing!). Seeing them in Africa, in their wild state, was amazing. To say the least, elephants are my favorite animal. 

Q: Favorite Bible verse and significance to you
A: 2 Corinthians 4:16-18: 
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."

This verse has been my sight through tough times in my life... our struggles, big or small, are MOMENTARY; God has something so much better for us and we just have to trust in Him.  It is hard not to get caught up in the "evil" that surrounds us in this world, but we just have to continue to rejoice, praise, and follow our Lord when the going gets tough.  We can't lose heart: He loves us SO MUCH! even when we are so unworthy.  




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jake West '14
     Interviewer: Myvy

Q: If you could be any animal for a day, which animal would you pick and why?
A: If I could be any type of animal for a day, I would like to be an eagle. Since I was little, I have always been jealous watching eagles soar in the sky and I would love to experience the feeling of effortlessly riding thermals over the rugged terrain. Additionally, I love looking at maps and figuring out the geography and relation of the terrain around me. Being an eagle would be awesome because the whole world would be spread out under the scrutiny of my piercing eyes. 

Q: What's your go-to song? 
A: My go to song is flow gently Sweet Afton by Nickel Creek. I used to fall asleep to it. It is just so peaceful and soothing. 

Q: If you could only do one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
A: I think that if I could do one thing for the rest of my life it would be chopping down trees with a chainsaw. There is nothing better than sawing through a large trunk and hearing the resounding crash as the tree falls to the floor. I haven't cut down that many trees, but the feeling was so satisfying that I am sure I could never get tired of it.

Q: If there were to be a movie made about your life, what would it be called and who would you want to play you?
A: The movie would be called Wild and Free and would probably star my brother. It would be a western about a young man who heads out west to start his life on the frontier admits the struggles of rugged western life. All of this would of course be symbolic for my struggles as pre-med student to conquer the treacherous perils of aromatic substitution reactions and physics problems. 

Q: If you could be a superhero, who would you be and why?


A: I would definitely be Batman. He doesn't have any special power, but uses his wealth and ingenuity for the good of the world. He is also a self sacrificing character even sacrificing his own reputation when needed. Also, he has a cool voice, "Where's Rachel?!!!!"




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Myvy Ngo '15
     Interviewer: Annika

Q: What’s the #1 most played song on your iPod?
A: The #1 most played song on my iPod is "Ships in the Night" by Mat Kearney. In general though, I'll listen to almost anything with good lyrics and a nice beat. 

Q: If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
A: If I could learn to do anything, I would want to learn everything. Haha. One thing I'd probably want to learn is how to pick up languages instantaneously. It's how we communicate, and I'd love to be able to communicate to everyone and anyone. From there, it'd be pretty cool to just be able to truly experience different cultures through language. 

Q: When you have 30 minutes of free-time, how do you pass the time?
A: When I have 30 minutes of free-time, I typically spend it reading, listening to music, or hanging out with my friends and family. Recently though, since I've been home, I've been working on starting my own garden in the backyard. 

Q: What's your motto in life?
A: My motto in life is "to be a better person today than I was yesterday" and "to serve and love others unconditionally." Though I really do like Albert Einstein's quote as a guideline for life as well: "Out of clutter, find simplicity. From discord, find harmony. In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." We do a really great job making things complicated that we forget to appreciate the simpler things. 

Q: Were you named after anyone? / What's the story behind your name?
A: So... funny story. Up until the moment I was born, my parents and the doctors were convinced that I was going to be a boy, so they didn't have a name for me when I was born. If I were to be a boy, I'd have my brother's name right now, Kalvyn. In Vietnamese, my name is two words "My" and "Vy." Separately, the two are pretty common - my mom's first starts with "My". While everyone was trying to figure out a name, my grandma was reading the newspaper and saw someone with the name "Vy". Put two and two together and voila! Myvy!



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben West '15
     Interviewer: Rachel 


Q: If you could be a character from any movie, who would you be and why?
A: Jason Bourne. Is there any better existence than fighting evil, saving lives and blowing things up? Having Matt Damon's looks wouldnt be too shabby either.


Q: What kind of doctor do you want to be?
A: I can see myself being an orthopedic surgeon, working with a college's sports medicine program. I love college kids and doing surgeries to help student athletes get back out on the field would be rewarding work.


Q: Most embarrassing moment?
A: Missing a penalty kick in a soccer tournament is definitely an embarrassing and humiliating experience.



Q: Describe your toothbrush (in as much detail as possible).
A: My toothbrush happens to be pink... and frayed... and calcified. Hopefully that doesnt say alot about my personality.


Q: What are three goals you have for the Bolivia trip?
A: My primary goal for Bolivia is to surrender completely to God and to be willing to allow his plan to take over all my actions and desires. I want to be used by him in a way in which I can show his love through my interactions with the people I encounter. I would like this time to be full of spiritual challenges and ultimately growth. Secondly I want to see how medicine can be used as a tool to help people and to reach those in need. This includes experiencing a different type of healthcare system as well as the hands on practical knowledge gained from helping in the hospital and witnessing medical procedures. Finally, I want to fall in love with the culture. I want to be bold with the friendships I make, the food I taste and the Spanish I speak (or try to speak). The best way to understand your own heritage and culture is by spending time away, immersed in a foreign setting. I don't want to hold back, but rather jump in and get my feet wet.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rachel Teranishi '12
     Interviewer: Danica

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go and why?

A: It is extremely hard to choose only one place, but if I had to, I would travel to Greece. I think it is absolutely beautiful and ancient Greek culture fascinates me. 


Q: What was one of your favorite things to do when you were growing up?
A: When I was little I loved to read. I would read my favorite books over and over again: Mr. Popper's Penguins, Dr. Doolittle, and Island of the Blue Dolphins. 

Q: If it were possible would you rather live on the moon or underwater?

A: Underwater for sure. When I was little I would pretend to be a mermaid in the pool. 

Q: What is one of your favorite memories from your time at Westmont?
A: Spring Sing my freshman year was a very memorable moment. Clark women did OK, but our men were fantastic. Their dances were so perfectly in sync that it gave me chills. I was so proud of them when they won, and it was fun to celebrate together at Taffy's.

Q: What will you miss most when you are in Bolivia?
A: I may end up missing something completely different when I am there, but if I had to guess it will probably be my good friends from Westmont. I recently graduated, but I have been preoccupied with orchestra tour, medical school applications, and preparing for this trip. Thus, the fact that I graduated hasn't really hit me yet. Sometimes being in a foreign country can be lonely, and I think in those times I will really start to miss Westmont and the people I have become close with over my four years there.

No comments:

Post a Comment